Saturday 10 April 2010

War, Huh!


Here are some drawings of a half developed character I did at great speed to try and lively up a pitch i'm working on at the last minute. Feel free to crit them into oblivion. One thing I would mention, however, is that in the closest image there's supposed to be rubble and a trench that I didn't draw, which is why his pose is like that. Invisible defensive line!

Also for the benefit of readers (as I'm pretty sure the contributors already know this) drawings that lack a "purpose" are almost always worse than drawings that have one. For example, these aren't "character drawings", nor are they designed to show an animated sequence or...well, anything, really. I just drew them and tried to make them look vaguely purposeful after the fact. This is very rarely the best way to draw! (there are exceptions, but that's another post for another day)

Try and find the purpose in all the work you do. Every panel is "for" something, or "doing" something. If you think first about what the hell it is you're trying to show, your drawing will be vastly improved. Even if the "purpose" is to show off your bukkake drawing abilities, you're going to compose, light, ink etc that image to best show off the shine on the...yeah, I'll stop that there. You get the idea.
~John~

2 comments:

nana said...

It really is hard to find things to pick on. Nice sense of movement, overlaps, foreshortening etc...
The one thing that bugged me a bit was the cast shadow on the faces. I'm guessing that you're going for a harsh look since this is war comic, and thus the high contrast shadows. I do feel that making the contrast that harsh detracts somewhat from the appeal of the character. The shadow patterns gives his face a somewhat skull-like appearance. Now if this is the antagonist that might not be a bad thing, but it might not be as desirable for the protagonist. The whole appeal thing came to mind since I read this recently http://sevencamels.blogspot.com/2010/04/kick-in-head-part-two.html
A minor thing but I don't quite understand the strip of shadow on the side of the nose for the character in front. It looks like the light source is straight overhead. I could be wrong but that shouldn't cause a shadow to form on the side of the nose as far as I can imahine. Alternative?

Anonymous said...

I love the emotion in the pose to the far left, great body language! These really look like animation stills or something. I think they do look purposeful, even if you say you did it in the wrong order! For some reason they make me think "Dr Who", slightly dark historical feel with child main characters perhaps?

Buh, i'm just a fangirl XD

Post a Comment