Monday 5 April 2010

Elizabethan-Japanese Crit

Hey :) Sorry for putting up a whole new post for this, but it was really hard to arrange in the comment section. I like the image, but I think the problem that struck me first was actually the breasts! They don't look affected by the corset (or gravity) at all.

I think the arm looks too short not because it's the wrong length, but because the upper body and head is pulling back in an unusually tense manner, meaning that the pose doesn't let her left arm seem like it's pushing away from the body as it tugs the hair.
I've tried to demonstrate what I mean by going over the pose, revealing the underlying anatomy (ignoring the breasts to show the ribcage). I think her left thigh also seems a little too short.

The right is a redraw with a few attempted corrections, and the middle shows how the pose shifts to pull the opposing shoulder, neck and head away from the stretched out hand. I've made the corset cinch the waist more, since it didn't seem to be affecting her body-shape in the original, and given her right calf more shape, since it would be squashed against the thigh. With legs bent like that, the garter straps wouldn't be straight either (otherwise the clasp would just be pulled off when she straightened up), and the curvature of the stockings needed to support the shape of the legs a little better to help the foreshortening.

EDIT: Whoops, it was Elizabethan, not Victorian, title edited. And I guess she's not actually ninja either.

1 comment:

nana said...

Ahh that's really good! I don't know what was going on with the rib cage in the original. It looked like a flat wooden plank.
I do find boobs quite difficult to place and draw, probably why most of my girls have tiny ones.
I think I imagined the shoulders being tilted the other way (LINK), although after all the recent talk about stiffness, tilting them your way would make the pose look more natural.
That front thigh should definitely be longer and I think I need to think more describing shape better. I wasn't entirely convinced about the garter straps being slack... but looked up some lingerie photos and I agree now. I know too little about lingerie... XD

Thanks for the thorough analysis! A fresh pair of eyes definitely helps!

Post a Comment