Thursday 27 May 2010

Signal page 1&2

I just finished the first two pages of signal! :D Since I haven't posted much here yet, I thought I'd put them up here first. They're a double page spread. Thought I'd post them up for thoughts + opinions. Obviously I don't want to go back into the page and make giant edits to pose or composition, but small tweaks to colour, tone and shape are fine :) I'm excited to get this finished! Should be done in a month or two *fingers crossed*


For anyone who doesn't know about this project, you can read about it + see some progress shots on my blog.

2 comments:

nana said...

This looks fantastic! It looks like a visual poem. Can't wait to see the book! <3

aqws said...

I like this a lot. Especially the swirling composition. I like Nana's comparison to a poem. It's definitely got rythmn. This is also one instance where layering images and marks is working really well. It's so easily messed up by the nine MILLION Dave Mkean imitators we probably both experienced at uni. This doesn't feel "unnecessary" at all, which I think is the great challenge when making rich, heavily designed artwork like this. Kudos!

Not so keen on the colour in the far distant landscape outside the window. I think it should be more blue, perhaps switching that greeny BG tint with the bluer one of the next panel- where the figure sits up- because i don't think you should remove that hue altogether.

Also, perhaps less detailed outside that window. I appreciate we're maybe supposed to notice things out there, but I think it would be a better image with only vague shapes- or blinding light. Whether it would be better *comics*, I can't say. The saucers are probably wildly important. That's nitpicking, though, it's a great dps!
~John~

Post a Comment