Sunday 25 July 2010

Colour Study

A colour study I did, referencing a gorgeous photo taken from isayx3's flickr album (photography & post processing eyecandy!).

Feel very rusty after not having been painting for a long long time, and I feel I'm still only scratching the surface of colour.

My biggest issue that I'm noticing with my paintings is that I'm having problems "finishing" my paintings. It's probably down to a lack of patience and a lack of practice and experimentation, but I find I just don't know where to start or stop. My paintings always look sort of rough and unfinished, or I just go over the edge and everything looks over-done and over-refined. I'm aiming for that finish where the paintings look nicely sharp and polished, but when you look closer you notice a lot of the rough, dynamic lively brushwork is still there....

Any crit or advice on how to achieve that finished balance would be much appreciated... ;__;

2 comments:

Hayden Scott-Baron said...

This looks really great, there's no doubting the quality of the final piece. :) I don't fully appreciate the process though - how do you go about working from the photo? Are you just using it visually, or working over it, or using it solely for picking colours?

It does look a little rough, but so do many paintings! :)

Unknown said...

When I study from photos, I pretty much have it open in a seperate window and attempt to copy the picture on my own. Like poor man's lifedrawing. I find it's quite useful in terms of forcing me to paint what I see, and not what I think I see, and as a result I gain a bit more understanding about colours. :)

Post a Comment