Friday 14 January 2011

After some painterly advice...


Having not touched my tablet for way too many months, Steve was making puppy eyes for some fanart for his novel. As it involves lovely ladies in minimal clothing and dragons with cities growing on their backs, I couldn't really resist.  In this scene the main character Natalie is running from her home in a massive city to the dragon city which has landed in the fields surrounding it.

Being from the ameteur school of "draw some lines and colour in the gaps" I'm really trying this time to make something a bit more painterly. I want to go for an old school scifi book cover look, a bit kitsch and fun. I've got to this point and I'm liking the colours and the rough shadows, but I'm now a bit stuck on how to progress. If I draw in all the lines (my usual approach...) I think i'll loose some of the atmosphere and goodness. Also the landscape looks more like sand dunes and is kind of featureless, which I need to work on...

Anyway, thought I'd ask some advice before I screw it up!And yes, i've done the orange and blue thing...


ooh ooh, check out these so bad they're good fantasy book covers.... http://www.goodshowsir.co.uk/

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember when I started doing more painty non manga-comic things, the idea of turning off the line layer FREAKED the wazzoo out of me. I find using the linework as a really low opacity guide, then turning it off totally once you've got all the rough proportions and figures in place helps free you up to just paint (rather than obsess about staying in the lines just so).

I personally like the blocking-in-large-areas of colour approach, but I've seen people who just start off painting the figure/focal point then fill in the rest...

(totally useless rambling sorry).

Susan Cook said...

Thanks for the advice! :D I guess i'll just go for it and see what happens.

aqws said...

hrmmmm I'm probably not the best person to be giving advice on this as i'm def. of the "colour inside the lines" school of thought! I would agree with the bblocking-in-large-areas of colour approach, but also not to get too caught up with soft edges and "rendering". Make sure it works and it's making a statement before you get stuck into the feathery stuff. Show results!
~John~

Post a Comment