Sunday 5 September 2010

Hair Rambling 3

I finally got round to finishing this. Actually forced myself to keep polishing selective bits after the point where I usually go "GARRGH it's DONE", and I'm pretty happy with how the overall look came out. I feel I've managed to take one step closer to finding out that technique (or eye) for making stuff look rough and dynamic, but still looking polished enough that it's not scruffy.

Lighting and colour wise... also a level up I think. Happy with how this turned out, as I kept away from the usual multiply, colour dodge, overlay etc etc layer effects, so no mess of over-exposure abuse. I'm a lot happier with the lighting on this than any of my previous paintings and doodles, as it feels more alive and glowy to me, and less fake muddy midtones. Skin is really hard to paint, and despite my improvement here I still have yet to achieve the skill of painting skin that glows and looks luminously beautiful and alive.

Anyway, happy with this pic, LEVEL UP! :D

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loving the light effects! particularly on the cheekbones and the jewellery. This looks like a lot of fun with all the curls and details! Thanks for sharing it :D

nana said...

Lovely painting! It's hard to pull off realistic lighting. :) Did you use a reference?
I like the lips and the shoulders in particular. I can see that you've put some colder shades on the shoulders, which helps push the realism.

Unknown said...

@Susan Aww thanks. :D

@Nana I was using a random photo of a Chinese model to get a proper look at the facial contours, as you know that Chinese/ oriental bone structure and face contours are totally different from Caucasian ones.

Post a Comment